So my garage is an absolute mess. I’ve been slowly trying to get everything organized, which will probably be a large part of the projects you see me take on in the garage over the next few months.
Recently, I came into a small load of sheet goods and 2x4s salvaged from the build I helped with for our church Christmas play, and it made me aware of the fact that I had no real lumber storage–most of the stock I’ve had in hand was either stacked against a wall or on some shelving brackets left by the previous homeowner, where I had to precariously attempt to take single pieces of lumber without bringing the entire stack down on my head (thus saving my wife a Tim “the Tool Man” Taylor-esque trip to the emergency room).
Well, I had an idea of what I wanted, and I had the treasure trove of 2x4s, so I got into sketchup and got to designing. I’m now pleased to share with you the plans as a free download!
Just a note–if you look at my cart close up, you’ll see some differences, namely in how the casters were mounted. What happened is my original plan was designed to have the casters mounted flush underneath the rest of the cart, so I proceeded to build it like that, but when I got to the casters step, I realized where I’d been planning to put the casters already had screws going in multiple directions, so screwing them in there wasn’t an option. I dropped a length of 2×4 onto the bottom piece that stuck out from the front and back, but since the T-Star lags were 3″, they would have stuck out, so I threw on a block of scrap wood to the top. This gave me the stunning revelation that I could have just left the top end lengths of 2×4 the same length as the bottom one for additional stability.
Also, I know Spax says you don’t need to predrill, but with the caster T-Stars, you’ll want to predrill. Because of how close to the edge the lags were set, they split my upper blocks. My finished product was probably not as pretty as it could have been, but–it’s functional. There may be other solutions out there, I’d love to hear them if you’ve got them!
- Saw–I used a Ryobi 10 in.Compound Miter Saw on my project, but also cut a slightly more complex cut on my Shopsmith bandsaw.
- Drill/driver–I use a Ryobi 18v Cordless Drill for drilling pocket holes, and a Ryobi 18v Impact Driver for driving the screws in.
- Pocket Hole Jig–I use a Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole Jig System.
- Four (4) 96” 2×4
- One (1) 96” 2×8
- 3 1/2” screws
- 2 1/2” screws
- Four (4) casters
- 3” T-Star Lags (washer head)
If I’m linking to a tool or material, there’s a good chance it will direct you to Amazon—using the magic of affiliate linking, your use of the links in the post lets Amazon know I sent you their way, and if you buy something within 24 hours, I’ll receive a commission. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, but it helps us keep the lights on.
Rest assured, I’m not going to randomly pitch you on something that I don’t think you could use—Whenever possible, I try to link to the tools I use myself. If it’s something I don’t have, I only recommend tools from brands I trust.